If you haven’t yet gone on an RV vacation this summer – or you simply want one more road trip before the arrival of autumn – now is the time to make it happen. For an adventure that you won’t soon forget, load up in an RV and set out for Arizona’s wide open spaces. The following last minute Arizona vacation ideas will help you get ready for a memorable trip.
What to See in Arizona
Because it’s a state filled with natural wonders, Arizona is the perfect place for a camping vacation. Whether you have just a weekend or a full week available to you, you’ll find plenty to do in Arizona.
Top among the recommendations for Arizona summer vacation ideas is a trip to the Grand Canyon to see its beauty with your own eyes. In this national park, you’ll find no shortage of exhilarating activities, including hiking, rafting and mule riding.
Beyond the Grand Canyon, there are a number of other state and national parks and monuments worthy of a summer road trip.
- Sonoran Desert National Monument: This Phoenix-area park is rich in desert landscapes and interesting wildlife.
- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument: If you’ve ever wanted to set your eyes on tall cacti and other amazing desert plants, this is the place to do it.
- Kartchner Caverns State Park: At this park, you can explore caves and the many underground wonders that they hold.
Where to Find Last Minute RV Sites
When it comes to last minute Arizona vacation ideas the most popular campgrounds will likely already be filled up months in advance, particularly on busy weekends. This is especially true of places in the Mogollon Rim region. Fortunately, there are plenty of other Arizona campsites to choose from, and you’ll have just as much fun there as you would at the better-known campgrounds.
Some campgrounds reserve a select number of sites for walk-up guests. If you want to try to get one of these spots, it’s important to be one of the first people to show up for the day.
Often, you can call ahead to see if a campground still has space or check its website for updates. By learning in advance that a particular site has already reached capacity, you can save yourself the trouble of driving there to check.
If staying at a coveted campground isn’t a priority for you, reduce your stress by directing your RV toward a less in-demand area of the state. The White Mountains are a great place to visit on a spur-of-the-moment trip to Arizona.
How to Pack for a Spontaneous Trip
By this point, you’ve probably been inspired by these Arizona summer vacation ideas, so it’s time to get down to the business of trip preparation. When traveling by RV, bringing along the essentials while leaving behind extraneous items will help you feel comfortable throughout your trip. The following packing list can help you stay organized as you quickly gather gear for a spur-of-the-moment vacation.
- RV equipment: leveling blocks, a gauge for measuring tire pressure, hook-up hoses and a stocked toolbox.
- Camping supplies: bug spray, a rope, a shovel, fold-up chairs and flashlights
- Clothing: summer clothes for hot days, long sleeves and pants for cool nights, swimwear, rain gear, socks and hiking boots
- Personal care items: soap, towels, toothbrushes, shampoo and sunscreen
- Kitchen supplies: pots and pans, food for the refrigerator, a cooler to set near your campsite’s picnic table, a tablecloth and a small grill
Some of these items may come with your URentMe RV, so check the list of included equipment before you start packing.
If you expect to have trouble obtaining a campsite, you may want to prepare for dry camping in a spot not developed for RV hookups. Add the following items to your packing list.
- A portable shower
- A large water jug
- Trash receptacle
- A camping toilet
Have these last minute Arizona vacation ideas gotten you excited about the possibility of an RV road trip? There’s no better time than now to enjoy an end-of-summer excursion, so start making plans today!